Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Computer Woes...

 Ever since I was 12 I have had a computer with access to the Internet, so this week when I found myself 'computerless' with 2 broken laptops I really felt quite 'disconnected'. A feeling I haven't experienced since I didn't pay my Internet bill in uni and lost my Internet connection for a week! However, in this crazy day of technology, my despair didn't last too long upon realising I had 2 'retired' desktops, 1 dinosauric laptop hidden in the back of the linen cupboard and of course my IPhone to fall back on! How insane does that seem? We had so much technology in the home, we just simply take it for granted and forget it is even there.. and because things are worth so little these days, it wasn't worth selling either the desktops or the retired laptop when we no longer needed them, so they just sat there (and did what unused computers do).  

So my laptop went off to the shop with what I presumed would be a virus, however, the issue turned out to be a broken hard drive.. Thankfully, even though my warranty expired 3 weeks ago, Acer have been lovely enough to honour the repairs.. So after a week in the shop, I am out of pocket $150 for the computer shops labour, diagnosis and backup and will now still be without my computer for another 7-10 working days whilst Acer receive and repair the problem.. on the bright side, I saved $160. 

I didn't realise computer illness's were contagious, but Hubby's computer is doing something very similar, and still being under warranty, it too is off for repairs through the rental scheme it was purchased through.. 

In the meantime I chose to use the dinosauric laptop of days gone by, it is 10 times larger than I remember, 100 times slower, makes noises that computers shouldn't make and the 'd' key is missing, but we are getting along just fine. 

I think after the laptops come back I'm going to take some time to clear out the 2 desktops and the clunker of a laptop and re home them to someone who needs 1 computer in their life.. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment