I have had an absolute craving for a homemade chicken soup since late last week, so it was so indulgent to be able to finally cook and eat this wonderful hearty soup!
What you will need:
(you can increase/decrease the ingredients to suit your family size etc)
- 6-8 Chicken Drumsticks (you may also choose to use chicken pieces/chicken breast etc)
- 2 small onions (or 1 large.. I only had 2 small)
- 2 carrots
- 4 washed potatoes
- 1 stick of celery
- Salt and Pepper
- Baby Spinach Leaves
- 4 Cups of Chicken Stock or equivalent
- 250 ml of water
I chose to cook our chicken soup in the slow cooker as I had a few errands to run in the evening and wanted to keep the meal simmering to ensure maximum flavour, however, cooking it in your stock pot works just as well and the recipe runs the same (just alter the cooking times)
1. Place your chicken into your pot/slow cooker. There is no need to brown it first.
2. Add your chopped Carrots, Onions and Potatoes to the pot. It depends how you like your vegetables as to how you cut them. I halve my Potatoes, cut the carrots into rings and cut my onions into quarters.
3. Add your 4 cups of chicken stock over the top of the chicken/vegetables. If the meat/vegetables aren't entirely covered, you will need to add water until everything is just covered by the water.
4. Season with salt and pepper and any herbs you may like.
5. Allow to cook in the pot or the slow cooker.. I usually use a low heat, so it takes quite a while, I find the flavour better and love how the chicken falls apart by the end of the cooking process.
6. In the slow cooker, I wait about 4 hours, then I add my mushrooms, baby spinach and black olives and then continue to cook.
7. Towards the end of the cooking you may wish to take your chicken legs out of the slow cooker and separate the meat from the bones, then you simply add the meat back to your pot and discard the bones.
8. After about 2 hours in the pot or 6 hours in the slow cooker usually the soup is ready to serve!
Super yummy and super freezable.. I always make larger portions so I can freeze some for later :)
Chicken Caesar Wraps..
This is a super simple recipe, great for dinners or lunches when you couldn't be bothered cooking!
What you will need;
- 8 Tortilla's or you may choose to use mini tortilla's for younger children.
- 500g chicken breast (or you can use a box of chicken tenders)
- Washed baby spinach leaves
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Grated tasty cheese
- Black sliced kalamata olives
- Caesar salad dressing
Start by either dicing and cooking the chicken breast in the fry pan or adding your chicken tenders to the oven. If I am cooking my chicken breast from scratch, I will also add diced onion to the frying pan also.
Whilst the chicken is cooking, it is best to prepare all of your salad items for the wraps. So when the chicken is cooked you can start to put the wraps together. Spread your wraps with some avocado, add the grated cheese, the spinach leaves, chicken and top with tomato and olives. Once you have added all the ingredients onto your wrap (you can of course change these to suit your tastes) you are ready for the sauce.
We buy a Caesar salad dressing and add this as our sauce, but you could easily use sour cream and sweet chili sauce, BBQ sauce, tomato chutney - whatever suits your tastes.
Fold the wraps up and enjoy!
I will post the remainder of the recipe's in the upcoming days..